Thursday, January 3, 2013

Product Review: SheaMoisture Moisture Retention Shampoo

I must preface this by saying that I am by NO stretch of the imagination a "product junkie." I use what I have and when I run out, I replace it. But from time to time I like to try something new, especially if I feel there's something in my regimen that isn't working.

That being said, after alternating between my softened shampoo recipe, co-washing and ACV rinsing for months, I felt that something wasn't quite right. I decided to go out and buy a different sulfate-free shampoo (I'd used Kinky-Curly's sulfate-free shampoo months ago but it left my hair stripped of moisture, dry and tangled). This time I went with SheaMoisture's Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo as I have had good experiences with other products in their line and their ingredients often fit my preferences.

Details

Product Name: SheaMoisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo 

On the bottle it says that it is geared toward "Dry, Damaged Hair"
Product claim: "Hydrates, smoothes and repairs strands, leaving hair manageably soft."

Ingredients: Deionized water, Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets), African Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Rosemary Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Vitamin E, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract.

At first glance the "Decyl Glucoside" caught my attention as I prefer naturally-based ingredients. But the "Sugar Beets" description led me to believe that it was a naturally-derived ingredient and therefore nothing to worry about. As I stood in the aisle further examining the label, I wondered if this product would lather as I couldn't tell from the ingredient list. However I was quite surprised when I got in the shower....

The Experience

Smell It doesn't smell bad but it does have a strong, noticeable scent. Fortunately the smell dissipated after I conditioned.

Texture Smooth, cream-colored liquid. Not too thick, not too runny.

Application Usually I prefer bottles with pumps when it comes to my shampoo and conditioner, but I have to say this bottle and dispenser work well because the product isn't so thick that it's hard to squeeze out. Also, a little product goes a long way, which is a plus in my book!

Lather Even though I only needed a little product for each section of hair, it still created a lot of lather, which made me a bit nervous at first because I thought it would dry out my hair. But much to my surprise, when I rinsed my hair it didn't feel stripped of moisture at all! In fact it felt rather moisturized and soft! From shampoo?? I couldn't believe it! I also noticed that it didn't create tangles. Yay! But which ingredient was causing all this lather? I didn't see any sulfates on the list, but as I sat down to write this post I researched "Decyl Glucoside" and found my answer. This ingredient is a naturally-derived, nonionic surfactant. If the word "nonionic" reminds you of those awful days in chem class, no worries. All you need to know is that it is one of the mildest surfactants available and can be combined with other surfactants. And what are surfactants? Cleansing agents.

Conclusion

Overall I was very impressed with this product - I definitely plan to use it again. There was only one drawback: it didn't work as well on my daughter's hair! :( I even diluted it with distilled water but it still left her hair tangled and dry. Her hair is much finer than mine, so I think that may have something to do with it. Maybe it created too much lather for her fine tresses, causing the dryness and tangles? I'll give it one more go 'round, maybe with distilled water + a few drops of olive oil or grapeseed oil....


Have you tried this product? What was your experience?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...