Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Wool + Hair = DISASTER!!

The past few times I've gone to finger detangle my twisted out hair, I've noticed that the very back of my hair has become incredibly tangled and knotted, which I am not used to. I've rarely had a problem with knots, but recently I had to cut out two in the back (yeah, I know, I was sooo unhappy about it). 
My hair tonight after I detangled & moisturized it again. 

Then tonight when I saw this area tangled up again I thought, something has changed...what could be causing this? Then it hit me. The collar of my wool coat rubs right up against the hair at the nape of my neck and......wool + hair = DISASTER!! Talk about tangle city. Grr. But in every adversity there lies the seed of opportunity. These past few knots have allowed me to learn how to remove knots from my hair carefully and successfully. Here is what I do:

  • Wet the hair Hair regains more of its elastic properties when wet, which allows it to stretch more, giving me more "room for error" while I gently untangle the knot. (A word of caution, though: hair is in its weakest state when wet, so exercise great care when detangling wet hair.) I use a spray bottle and lightly mist the hair by small sections, focusing my spray bottle on the knot so it's almost soaked.
  • Add slip I figured that if I add my shea butter blend (which is rich in natural oils - thank you, Naptural85!) to the knot and the hair that surrounds it, rubbing it down the strands and into the knot, then this will provide more slip, enabling me to cause less damage while gently removing the knot. It helps me a lot. Use any moisturizing product you prefer.
  • Avoid a comb or brush! I found this out the hard way. The first knot I came across I only made worse by using my wide-toothed comb. It got so bad I had to cut it out. Take it from me, when it comes to removing knots, use your fingers.
  • Be patient Safely removing a knot takes time and patience, so if you're going to be rushed, try to put it off until you have ample time to devote to the process. 

So what's my long-term solution to this wool coat challenge? I think I'm going to have to start wearing a silk scarf as a buffer between my hair and the coat. Fortunately my brother and his lovely girlfriend gave me one for Christmas. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...