Thursday, March 15, 2012

INSANITY

"Insanity" - doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results
I used to subconsciously believe that I was taking the necessary steps to change my life. But then it hit me. I was doing just enough to get by, and I wasn't actually changing anything, especially how I thought.

Before I started running, I used to frequently think, "I really need to exercise," but I wouldn't take the consistent steps to make it happen. Then I would feel guilty for not working out. Is that not the silliest thing?! I mean, why not just DO what I know I need to do and get it over with, right? lol. Ah, hindsight....

So how did I make running a part of my lifestyle? I started out small. I set a goal to run at least once a week, but if I didn't get a run in, I wouldn't guilt-trip myself - I would just get it in the following week. Pretty soon, running became a joy instead of a chore on my neverending to-do list, and now it is a passion.

But what if I hadn't started running? Where would I be now? I shudder to even think about it. Certainly not moving forward with my goals in all areas of my life, and definitely not nearly as disciplined or confident. 

I used to despise running long distance. Now I love it. I simply took one small step after another and those seemingly insignificant steps opened up doors that I never knew were closed. 

What doors of opportunity are you allowing to remain closed because of your daily choices?




4 comments:

  1. I am sooo glad you posted this! I was doing the same exact thing and made the commitment a few weeks ago to do the same, run once a week and then do weight training 2, 3, and then 4 times a week. I not only finally got my mile under 10 mins, but I also don't feel like I can't run or I look silly doing it. The truth is, if I am doing it at my version of 100%... it will never look pretty. :)

    Keep up the post! I love reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW, Keke that is so awesome!! I am so happy for you!! And good for you for cross training as well! I'm about to integrate sprinting on my off days so I can shave some time off. Thanks so much for the encouragement! You have no idea how right on time you were with that! Peace, Blessings and Happy Running! :) Are you training for a race?

      Delete
  2. I love this quote, yet I'm guilty of insanity! Purposefully trying to do something different these days... :-) Now, if I could only get myself to exercise! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, M! It's all in the little things we do, not the big things (contrary to popular belief). I encourage you to start making improvements in one area of your life, and remain disciplined about it. Then watch how it impacts other areas of your life! That's what happened with me and running. Be encouraged :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...