Friday, January 18, 2013

How to Choose Your Products


Whether you are just starting your natural hair journey or you're a veteran who hasn't quite found the right products for your mane, this post is for you!


Natural or Synthetic?

Selecting products that have or do not have certain ingredients is a matter of personal preference. You may not care what ingredients are in your products, and that's perfectly fine. Or you may be the opposite, and that's okay too. Everyone is different so don't let anyone try to force their way of doing things onto you. When I began my no-heat growth journey, since I was doing both me and my infant daughter's hair, it was important to me that I sought out the most natural (preferably organic) products that were effective but also friendly to my wallet.

Source
Budget

This probably goes without saying but I'm gonna say it anyway, lol. Be realistic with your budget and spend wisely. It can be tempting to go out and buy everything you hear about, I know. But exercise control. No two heads are alike, so not every product works for everyone, even if you have the same texture. Just because that 10oz jar of product that costs $50 a pop gave someone else phenomenal results doesn't necessarily mean that your hair is going to respond the same way. And you'll have blown $50.

Pick It & Stick with It

Consistency goes a long way when it comes to maintaining a healthy, growing head of hair. And if healthy hair is your goal then you'll need to learn what product combination works for your tresses. The only way to do that is by using a product several times. If you don't do this and instead jump from product to product, then you'll never know what is really working for you and what is not.

"Is this product working?"

From washing through styling, you should take note of how your hair responds to the products you're using. Is your hair dry, dull, brittle, crunchy when touched, mushy, breaking a lot? If so then it may be time to re-examine your product stash. Trust me - your hair will let you know whether it "likes" a product. If you still think you're not getting the results you should with a product, then set it aside for a bit and come back to it later.

Style Matters

How you style your hair can also play a role in how your hair responds to a product. For example, the SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie is supposed to do just that - enhance the curl pattern while also adding moisture to each strand. The first time I used this product I attempted a wash-n-go and it was a mess. But I didn't give up on the product - I simply used it for a different style. During the winter of 2011 I began applying a little of the CE Smoothie on top of the Kimmaytube leave-in conditioner when two-strand twisting my hair. And the results? Phenomenal!! My hair was super moisturized, soft, didn't feel weighed down and had a healthy sheen for days on end. Not to mention the twist-outs were ah-mahzing! I knew it was a quality product; I just had to figure out how to make it work for me.

Hope this helps! As always, if you have any questions please feel free to comment below or drop me a line via email at forhisglorynatural@gmail.com.

Peace & Blessings!


Lauren <3





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...