Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Softened Shampoo Recipe

Here's the recipe I've been using prior to applying the protein conditioner to my hair. I've modified it each time, but here's the way I made it last time.


1oz sulfate shampoo
1oz grapeseed oil (LOVE this stuff!!)
2oz water


Shake in spray bottle. It's very convenient that there's water in it; that way I don't have to worry about it distributing and lathering evenly since I apply this mixture with the shower water off. Thanks to the grapeseed oil, my hair doesn't feel stripped and straw-like afterwards. Back when I switched over to a sulfate-free shampoo, I swore I would never go back to using sulfate shampoos. But fortunately I follow Shelli on Hairscapades where I learned that you need to clarify your hair prior to doing a protein treatment so that the protein can bond to your hair and do what it's supposed to do. YAY for natural hair friends! :)


2 comments:

  1. Nice modification!! I've been wanting to try oil+shampoo recipe as I read that it increases lather without extra shampoo!!

    As to clarifying, you don't necessarily need to use a sulfated shampoo to do so. You could use Kinky Curly Come Clean or the Curls Clarifying shampoo or some other clarifying, but sulfate free shampoo like that. But, I do think it is a good idea to clarify if you are solely co-washing or use oils and butters frequently to get the hair really clean of build up:). As you know, I go the route of diluting a sulfated shampoo and pre-pooing with oil first. But, I might try your recipe the next time I wash as I REALLY need to do a henna treatment! The grey is OUT OF CONTROL! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelli! Ohh ok! Sorry if I misquoted you - I must've misread your posts on that. Let me know how it works for you if you try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...