Wednesday, March 7, 2012

It's All In Your Head

It amazes me how our perspective shapes how we view the world - and ourselves. I'm re-reading this awesome book called The Slight Edge and the author talks about this very thing. Our "philosophy," as he calls it, ultimately determines our success in life. He says, You can look at anyone's actions and trace back, through the attitudes behind those actions, to their source: the philosophy behind the attitudes.


I would never be where I am today on my natural hair growth journey if I had never changed my philosophy about beauty. When I constantly used to straighten my natural hair, I did it because I believed that straight hair was synonymous with beauty. I didn't think my kinky coils were beautiful. Today, thanks to my new philosophy about beauty, my hair is well past BSL and on its way to WL. Yes, I completely abandoned my straightening regimen for a better one which allows my hair to thrive. But if I'd never thrown out my old philosophy then I never would have changed my regimen and my hair would still be breaking, unhealthy and at the same medium length that it hovered around for years.


I'm still growing and stretching the boundaries of my current philosophy to include bolder and bigger hairstyles, even frizz, but I'm proud to say that I've already come a long way.




What is your philosophy about your hair and how has it affected the health of your hair and its growth?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...