For starters, I've been implementing a protein conditioner into my regimen for the past 3 wash days and the results have been phenomenal! And when I say "phenomenal" I am not exaggerating. Reduced shedding, stronger hair, easier detangling and styling. Yes, I'm serious! For the past two wash days - including this past Sunday - I have not used a tool to detangle my hair. This was previously unheard of for me; I never used to believe I could detangle my hair without a comb or detangling tool of some sort. No longer!
Here's what I've been doing/my new regimen:
1. Finger detangling each section with coconut oil. Since there was gel in my hair (yeah I know, I'll get to that later!) I lightly spritzed each section with water and then ran coconut oil through, gently detangling as I went. When I'm done with a section I twist it.
2. Hop in the shower and soak my head, handling the twists gently so they don't unravel. Then I turn off the water and squirt my softened shampoo at the base of each twist, making sure I'm concentrating the shampoo only on my scalp. (The recipe for my softened shampoo will follow in a later post.)
3. Unravel each twist and gently squeeze the shampoo down my hair. Repeat with each twist then turn the water back on and unravel one twist at a time to rinse all the shampoo out.
4. Apply protein conditioner in like fashion, unraveling one twist at a time and then twisting back up. When shampooing and conditioning, I apply all my products from the front sections to the back sections. When I start rinsing out the protein conditioner, I also start from the front to the back, which allows the product to sit for the allotted time.
5. Rinse out protein conditioner and while keeping my hair under the running water, I gently finger detangle each section as I rinse. My hair detangles SO. MUCH. EASIER. I don't even need my Tangle Teezer!
6. Follow up with a deep conditioner. Let it sit in my hair under shower caps for a period of time, which is determined by my schedule that day. Rinse and style.
For the past 3 wash days I've been experimenting with gel. I know, *gasp*! I've been using it for additional sealing on top of my modified Kimmaytube leave-in.
|Freshly washed and DC'd hair with modified KT leave-in and KCCC|
to seal. Loosely braided to preserve curls so I could wear my natural
texture the following day.
|After taking the braids out the next day. My hair was, of course, still wet.|
It felt strange but fun wearing my natural curl pattern!
|Later that day, after air drying and shrinkage. My hair go crunchy|
in most parts, but I didn't mind. I was lovin my curls!
|Close-up of my dried, shrunken tendrils :) Love 'em!|