Saturday, April 13, 2013

When Life Hits

The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need. 
He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name. 
Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
~Psalm 23:1-4

In this fallen world, there is so much uncertainty that when something bad happens - death, a tragic event, etc. -  it is easy for the nonbeliever to turn to the believer and balk, "So where was God when that happened?" The answer is simple. God was right there. He is always right there. He tells us throughout His Word that He is right there beside us, especially in our darkest hours. 

Then comes the inevitable, "Well, if God is so good and mighty, then why would he let something bad like that happen?" The fact is, God didn't make the world to be this way, full of pain and suffering. Man accomplished that with original sin. When Adam and Eve fell, they took the whole human race with them. God's intentions for mankind have always been good and just. He created us to have a deep and intimate relationship with Him. But after the Fall, that became impossible - until Jesus Christ came.

For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people's sins against them...For God made Christ, who never sinned, to be the offering for our sin, so we could be made right with God through Christ. ~2 Corinthians 5:19;21

God never once promises in His Word that we will lead a life without suffering. Jesus Himself said it's inevitable that in this life we will experience grief and pain:

Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world. ~John 16:33

Although we don't know what pains or joys tomorrow will bring, when we walk with Jesus Christ we can be confident that one thing in this world is and always will be constant: God's unfailing love.

Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.
~Psalm 23:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...